from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- intransitive verb To cause to have a short circuit.
- intransitive verb Informal To hamper the progress of; impede.
- intransitive verb To bypass.
- intransitive verb To become affected with a short circuit.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To complete an electric circuit by a conductor of low resistance; introduce a shunt of low resistance.
- In electricity, to establish a short circuit in.
- In surgery, to form a communication between two portions of intestine above and below an obstruction, so that the contents may pass along.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb (Elec.) To join, as the electrodes of a battery or dynamo or any two points of a circuit, by a conductor of low resistance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb Alternative spelling of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb hamper the progress of; impede
- verb create a short circuit in
- verb avoid something unpleasant or laborious
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Undo the habits in any way: mess with them; short-circuit, distract, immobilize their predictability; mobilize their strength; and utilize their potential for change.
Oral insulin doesn't help control blood sugar but is recognized by the immune system and could short-circuit the chain of events that trigger Type 1 diabetes.
The Woonsocket, R.I., company's move highlights the friction over so-called "co-pay cards" from drug makers that can short-circuit incentives used by health plans to encourage less expensive medications.
Some economists fear that housing woes could short-circuit the nascent recovery in jobs.
This will help stabilize international exchange rates, resolve the ongoing cycles of global financial crises and investment bubbles, short-circuit the run-up in gas and food prices, and unlock the frozen credit system.
But this powerful technique also works to short-circuit food cravings.
The Justice Department, which is defending the law, opposed Mr. Cuccinelli's request, arguing in a written brief that there was no need to short-circuit the normal appeals process.
He seems to short-circuit—both happy that it worked and sad that our plan is still alive.
The mess also threatens to short-circuit Mr. Weiner's national profile.
"It looks like operator error caused a short-circuit on a heavily loaded line," said Michael Niggli, president of San Diego Gas & Electric.