from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small show offered in addition to the main attraction, as at a circus.
- n. A diversion or spectacle that is incidental to a larger set of circumstances or a bigger issue of concern: "Administrations with little room to maneuver at home have historically looked for sideshows abroad” ( Joan Didion).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A minor attraction at a larger event such as a circus, fair, music festival or similar.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a minor show that is part of a larger one (as at the circus)
- n. a subordinate incident of little importance relative to the main event
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Another sideshow is the battle for the green points jersey.
Whitman told reporters after the debate the controversy is a sideshow from the issues Californians want to focus on, such as jobs and education.
The sideshow is another thing: there are all kinds of horrifying, shocking tales!
“There are a lot of gangs there,” he said, explaining that the atmosphere of a sideshow is dependent on who is attending.
The law allows for the seizure and impoundment of any vehicle reported to be used in sideshow activities for 30 days, as well as a fine of up to $1,500 for the owner.
But no matter what happens to the sideshow in the future, the sideshow is a part of my history from now ’till infinity ….
As I said in another thread, this whole sideshow is just a misdirection of Clinton’s (no doubt engineered by David Rockefeller) to make us forget Vince Foster’s murder remains unpunished.
Besides preserving wild animals as hunting trophies and museum exhibits, taxidermy has another face that lies in sideshow monsters and hoaxes, like P.T. Barnum’s famed “Feejee mermaid” of the 1840s.
In evangelical churches, politics is better described as a sideshow than as the main attraction.
Used to respect Clinton a lot for the work she has done, but her and Bill are turning this into a pathetic sideshow, that is dragging both of them down.