from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An elaborate practical joke in which an unsuspecting person takes part in a bogus hunt for a snipe, typically being left alone in the dark with instructions not to move until the snipe appears.
- n. A futile search or endeavor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A prank in which a gullible victim is sent off on a fruitless search for a nonexistent item.
- v. To participate, as the gullible victim, in a snipe hunt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an elaborate practical joke in which the unsuspecting victim hunts a snipe and is typically left in the dark holding a bag and waiting for the snipe to run into it
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.