from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A flight of mallards. See Synonyms at flock1.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A flock of mallards
  • n. Obsolete form of sward.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. See sward.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. An obsolete or dialectal variant of sward.
  • n. An obsolete variant of sort.


Middle English sorde, from sorden, to rise up in flight, from Old French sordre, from Latin surgere, to rise; see surge.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • "...a group of mallard ducks on the ground is call a “sord�?, but when in flight, it is called a “flock�? (as are all ducks in flight)."

    - Ducks Unlimited Canada FAQ

    May 10, 2007