from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A T-shaped implement having a crosspiece edged with rubber or leather that is drawn across a surface to remove water, as in washing windows.
  • noun A similar implement or a rubber roller used in printing and photography.
  • transitive verb To wipe or smooth with a squeegee.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • To treat with a squeegee or squilgee.
  • noun Nautical, same as squilgee.
  • noun In photography, a stout strip of soft rubber set longitudinally in a wooden back which serves as a handle, and beyond which the rubber projects.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun Formerly, a small swab for drying a vessel's deck; now, a kind of scraper having a blade or edge of rubber or of leather, -- used for removing superfluous, water or other liquids, as from a vessel's deck after washing, from window panes, photographer's plates, etc.
  • transitive verb To smooth, clean, press, or treat with a squeegee; to squilgee.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A tool consisting of a rubber blade at right angles to a handle, used for spreading, pushing or wiping liquid material on, across or off a surface, especially when cleaning glass, eg the windscreen of a vehicle or a shop window, to remove soapy water.
  • noun slang A person who cleans the windscreen of a vehicle stopped in traffic then demands payment from the driver.
  • noun printing A tool used in silk-screen printing for forcing the ink through the stencil and thus printing the desired image.
  • verb transitive To clean with a squeegee.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • verb wipe with a squeegee
  • noun T-shaped cleaning implement with a rubber edge across the top; drawn across a surface to remove water (as in washing windows)


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Perhaps from obsolete squeege, to press, alteration of squeeze.]

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

Possibly from squeege, an intensified variant of squeeze. Compare the earlier squill-gee, squillgee.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Too many es for a word of this size.

    May 27, 2009

  • Says who?

    Signed, ReeeeeseTeeee

    June 3, 2009

  • According to Clifford W. Ashley in "The Yankee Whaler" (1926) a "lipper" is "an oblong piece of blubber with a slotted finger grip, used to squeegee the decks after cutting-in"

    December 15, 2009