from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An ensemble of four musicians playing stringed instruments, usually two violins, a viola, and a cello.
- n. A composition for such a group.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a group of four musicians playing string instruments, usually two violins, a viola and a cello
- n. a musical composition for such a group
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an instrumental quartet with 2 violins and a viola and a cello
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Yet the three musical recordings she had posted were of her playing the Intro and Rondo Capriccioso by Saint-Saëns, the Bartok string quartet No. 5, and the Brahms string quartet No. 2—well-performed, professional pieces suggesting that the violinist in question would like to be taken seriously.