from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An officer on a merchant ship who has charge of the cargo and its sale and purchase.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An officer on board a merchant ship who has charge of the cargo.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An officer or person in a merchant ship, whose duty is to manage the sales, and superintend the commercial concerns, of the voyage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person in a merchant ship whose business is to manage the sales and superintend all the commercial concerns of the voyage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an officer on a merchant ship in charge of the cargo and its sale and purchase
The supercargo was the brother of the Mr. S----, whose death in Jamaica the reader will not have forgotten, and he gave me a hearty welcome.
The captain, the agent, and the supercargo were ashore in the two boats.
There was some subterfuge about our position on board -- I forget the particulars now -- I was called the supercargo and Pollack was the steward.
A supercargo is a position in the ship's crew analogous to the ship's clerk.
Myself - skipper Castor - 1st officer & pilot Meade - 2nd officer & asst. cook Hazel - chief engineer Pollux - asst.eng. & relief pilot Edith - ship's surgeon & cook Buster - 'supercargo'
A "supercargo" was an officer of a merchant ship who was entrusted with the sale of the cargo and other commercial transactions.
Portuguese intendant, who travelled with us as a kind of supercargo; but the villain only grinned and said something about the Junta and the galleys for life, so I did not recur to it afterwards.
"Both he and that fat beast of a supercargo are a pair of sneaks, and they hate you like poison.
Tako Kakuta and Ras Tschubai-Counting Pucky, these three make up the teleport team Wuriu Sengu-The mutant tele-spy sees through it all John Marshall-Chief of the Mutant Corps Lt. Jenner, Dr. Ranault and Dr. Sorowski-Technical 'supercargo' for the teleport team Lt. Groder-Special agent of Solar Intelligence Maj.
Rather than simply sail around the world, or travel as supercargo to Calcutta and backtwo options that were open to himhe signed on as