from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A physician specializing in surgery.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who performs surgery; a doctor who performs operations on people or animals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One whose profession or occupation is to cure diseases or injuries of the body by manual operation; one whose occupation is to cure local injuries or disorders (such as wounds, dislocations, tumors, etc.), whether by manual operation, or by medication and constitutional treatment.
- n. Any one of numerous species of chætodont fishes of the family Teuthidæ, or Acanthuridæ, which have one or two sharp lancelike spines on each side of the base of the tail. Called also surgeon fish, doctor fish, lancet fish, and sea surgeon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who practises surgery; one who performs manual operations on a patient; a chirurgeon.
- n. In Great Britain, one who has passed the examinations of the Royal College of Surgeons, but has not the degree of M. D.; a general practitioner.
- n. A medical officer in the army, or in a military hospital.
- n. A surgeon-fish.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a physician who specializes in surgery
As Lady Delacour opened it, she fixed her eyes upon Belinda, and said to her with a mild voice, 'You are come to tell me that the surgeon is arrived.
On the other hand, Stephens, the retired surgeon, is sold on walking.
A brain surgeon practicing every day may do a faster and better job than someone who does brain surgery once every few years.
And then, with the precision of a brain surgeon, he said, An exposed box spring is like a fly in the soup ... unsightly.
If the lesion remains moderate to large, we recommend delivery at a center that can provide Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO), and because the newborn may require emergent removal of the tumor or mass, the availability of a pediatric surgeon is crucial.
Not everyone can be a brain surgeon, no matter how hard they try or how much time or money they spend attempting to learn to be one.
You know what you call a surgeon in San Cristobal?
While you suffer, console yourself that the hip surgeon is paying his fair share in taxes.
A heart surgeon from the suburbs of Evansville, Mr. Bucshon is running against Trent Van Haaften, a state representative and former prosecutor, for a seat vacated by Democratic Rep. Brad Ellsworth, who is waging an uphill campaign for the Senate against Republican Dan Coats.
When the surgeon is finished, the laparoscope and other instruments are removed, the incisions are stitched and dressings are applied.