from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Owing to or showing evidence of "sympathy", or affinity; happening through or demonstrating correspondences, whether occult or physiological.
- adv. In a manner which demonstrates a sharing in the feelings of others; compassionately.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In a sympathetic manner.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a sympathetic manner; with sympathy, in any sense; in consequence of sympathy, or sympathetic interaction or interdependence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. in a sympathetic manner
- adv. with respect to the sympathetic nervous system
Last year he wrote an article for Spin sympathetically exploring the complexities of the relationship between Mary Kay Tourneau, the Seattle teacher convicted of statutory rape, and her teenage lover.
I managed to escape for a couple of months; but when I was bowled over, Martin sympathetically joined me several days later.
Kreis seemed to wake up and flash like some metallic, magnetic thing, while Norton looked at Martin sympathetically, with a sweet, girlish smile, as much as to say that he would be amply protected.
Hence the need to portray the villain sympathetically.
And again, insight into the more enduring preferences of men and the conditions of their happiness, upon which rational moral standards are founded, is indispensable to a complete interpretation of life; but there is much of life that can be envisaged sympathetically, that is, artistically and beautifully, with small hold on ethical wisdom.
"Poor dear darling!" murmured Margot sympathetically, at which the
She received us nowhere more sympathetically, that is with less ceremony or self - consciousness, I seem to recall, than at Montepulciano, for instance -- where it was indeed that the recovery of private judgment I just referred to couldn't help taking place.
Previously, he said he would look "sympathetically" at applications.
But they are saying his application will be treated 'sympathetically', which must be a bit of a worry.
But a formal application will be treated 'sympathetically' if we receive it.