from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adverb & adjective Without the intrusion of a third person; in intimate privacy.
- noun A private conversation between two persons.
- noun A sofa for two, especially an S-shaped one allowing the occupants to face each other.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Private; confidential; with none present but the persons concerned: as, a tête-à-tête conversation.
- noun A private interview; a friendly or close conversation.
- noun A short sofa, on which only two persons can comfortably sit.
- Face to face; in private; in close confabulation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun Private conversation; familiar interview or conference of two persons.
- noun A short sofa intended to accomodate two persons.
- adverb Face to face; privately or confidentially; familiarly.
- adjective Private; confidential; familiar.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A face-to-face meeting, or private
conversationbetween two people, usually in an intimatesetting; a head-to-head.
- noun A
benchor sofathat allows two people to talk face-to-face.
- adverb In
private, between two people; head-to-head.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adverb without the intrusion of a third person; in intimate privacy
- adjective involving two persons; intimately private
- noun a private conversation between two people
- noun small sofa that seats two people
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[French : tête, head (from Late Latin testa, skull; see teston) + à, to + tête, head.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
French tête-à-tête ("head-to-head")
Sorry, no example sentences found.