from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An engraved tablet or surface.
- n. Music A system of notation using letters, symbols, or other visual cues instead of standard notation to indicate how a musical piece is to be played. For example, guitar or banjo tablature typically consists of a diagram of the strings with finger positions indicated by numerals corresponding to the appropriate frets.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A form of musical notation indicating fingering rather than the pitch of notes, commonly used for stringed instruments
- n. An engraved tablet etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A painting on a wall or ceiling; a single piece comprehended in one view, and formed according to one design; hence, a picture in general.
- n. An ancient mode of indicating musical sounds by letters and other signs instead of by notes.
- n. Division into plates or tables with intervening spaces.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tabular space or surface; any surface that may be used as a tablet.
- n. A tabular representation; specifically, a painting or design executed as a tablet on a distinct part of an extended surface, as a wall or ceiling.
- n. Exhibition as in a table or catalogue; an exemplification or specification; a specimen.
- n. In music: The system of rules for the poetry of the mastersingers.
- n. Musical notation in general.
- n. A form of musical notation for various instruments, like the lute, the viol, the flute, the oboe, or the organ, used in Europe from the fifteenth to the beginning of the eighteenth century.
- n. In anatomy, the separation of cranial bones into an inner and an outer hard table or plate, with intervening diploic or cancellated structure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a musical notation indicating the fingering to be used
You put mp3s into the device via SD card, the songs are converted into guitar tablature, and the tablature is projected, with laser lights, onto the guitar fretboard as you play.
We might have a chord chart if there are tough chords, or if there is one really hard line I might jot it down in banjo tablature, which is a number system that I read.
As fans left the club they were offered a chance to buy Thompson's songbook, complete with guitar tablature to help them sound just like their hero.
Once active, the device accepts mp3, midi or wav files, and “hrough software,” is converted to guitar tablature, then lit up on the frets as you play.
You can hear more music by Malpais on their myspace page, and on their official website you can also download the guitar tablature for some songs in case you wish to play along or on your own.
I also learned how to read music very early on, which is another thing I would encourage music students to do, and stay away from tablature.
I miss those two tablature books you took, one of Dylan's works up til then, one a blues compilation.
(Why didn't she just Google the tablature on the iPhone?)
When you learned to play an instrument online, you found out that teaching yourself to read tablature was a must for the aspiring guitarist.
Goggle it, listen, and for a guitar, tablature or TAB will be enough because you already know the other stuff.