from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The point of contact between two dissimilar metals in a thermocouple at which a thermoelectric current is produced.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun There are two such points in the circuit of a thermo-element. It is upon the difference of temperature of the two junctions for a given pair of metals that the electromotive force of the element depends.
- noun The point of union of the two metals of a thermo-electric couple.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Elec.) A junction of two dissimilar conductors used to produce a thermoelectric current, as in one form of pyrometer; a thermocouple.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a junction between two dissimilar metals across which a voltage appears
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.