from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A series of rounded indentations cut into the front edge of a book, each labeled, as with a letter, to indicate a section of the book.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun one of a series of rounded notches in the fore edge of a book to indicate sections


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.