from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Readily combustible material, such as dry twigs, used to kindle fires.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. small dry sticks and finely-divided fibrous matter etc., used to help light a fire.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Something very inflammable, used for kindling fire from a spark, as scorched linen.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dry substance that readily takes fire from a spark or sparks; specifically, a preparation or material used for catching the spark from a flint and steel struck together for fire or light. See spunk, 1.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. material for starting a fire
Place this on top of a flat flint so that the edge of the tinder is right next to the edge that you are going to strike.
Another option for 'take along' tinder is the lint collected from the dryer after a load of towels BUT it should be kept bone dry in a 35mm film cannister.
Like a wildfire igniting in tinder-dry brush, it will only take one spark.
These pockets of flames are embedded in tinder throughout the rest of the region.
Colonel von Falkenheyn, and his assistant, the latter a lieutenant of the guards, and the name tinder which they journeyed was an incognito one; indeed, so cleverly did they manage to conceal their identity that it was hardly ever revealed.
(Technically speaking, tinder is defined as material that will glow from a spark; if the material requires a match to catch flame, it's fine kindling.
While European societies fail to integrate the second and third generation people of immigrant origin (and it is important to say that these people are not immigrants, but children of immigrants), the tinder will be there for fires to burn.
That however, faid he, is the idea tinder which truth obliges me to repre - font it.
The end result was a kind of tinder shack, a cottage at which no insurance agent would ever call, a studio apartment of death.
This is the kind of tinder dry brush that they are dealing with out here.