from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Movement of the tongue in order to articulate notes on a brass or wind instrument.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of tongue.
- n. A technique used with wind instruments to enunciate different notes using the tongue on the reed or mouthpiece.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- v. Modification of tone for a rapid staccato effect by the performer's tongue, in playing a wind instrument, as a flute. In single tonguing only one kind of stroke is used, the tongue articulating a rapid “t;” in double tonguing, two strokes, as for “t” and “k,” are alternated; in triple tonguing, “t, k, t,” etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or state of projecting like or as a tongue.
- n. In horticulture, a process intended to promote the rooting of layers. See the quotation.
- n. In playing on musical wind-instruments, the act, process, or result of modifying or interrupting the tone by means of a stroke of the tongue, so as to produce a marcato or staccato effect.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It is a facile instrument, and double tonguing, which is also possible with the horn and trumpet, is one of its popular means for display.
That's because the researchers haven't yet mastered recreating a clarinet playing technique known as tonguing in which the player strikes the reed with their tongue.
Also, some techniques, such as tonguing -- separating each note by touching the tip of your tongue to the whistle -- and slurring -- stringing notes together -- are more easily demonstrated than explained.
Woody wood pecker tonguing water chestnuts like communion wafers
Though she resisted, he took it between his lips, tasting that bud, tonguing it … With a hoarse groan, he began to suckle, his eyes rolling back in his head.
In the back of my mind I imagined seeing him tonguing the bitch that Sensation had told me about.
The guy's under criminal investigation, sneaks around tonguing teenagers, assassinates the political careers of his opponents, buys off reporters with jobs for which they aren't qualified, admits he has a terrible time telling the truth about anything, is reneging on his debts, drives recklessly (or worse), can't file his financial disclosure forms on time -- do you think he'd be cutting square corners on his taxes?
You got facts to support that BS or are you gonna continue lying and tonguing Glenn Becks balls tea-bagger?
You got facts to support that BS or are you gonna continue lying and tonguing Glenn Becks balls tea-bagger? bizarro, I think QE is counting every public statement by Obama as a “gaffe”.
So sad … maybe your mom is ready for her tonguing?