from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. precarious, delicate, dangerous, risky, sensitive or of uncertain outcome.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a phrase descriptive of a narrow escape.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of uncertain action or outcome; that may explode, go off, or come to a head on the least touch or provocation; hence, ticklish; uncertain; applied to persons, circumstances, or actions.
- Hasty and superficial; desultory.
- n. An uncertain or precarious state of affairs as regards the happening or not happening of something.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. fraught with danger
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Wonderful scenery with sweeping descents and a few climbs, but touch and go whether we'd make it.
‘Although I must admit it was touch and go there for a moment,’ he added slyly, and Nora gave a little yelp as she mistimed her step off the moving pad, hooking her heel on the metal rim and lurching drunkenly against him.
The 3rd Lights were riding in among the Sikh guns and infantry, but when Paddy launched a frontal infantry assault they ran into a great storm of grape, and it was touch and go for a while, for when they reached the jungle the Sikh guns were still doing great execution, and there was horrid scrimmaging among the trees.