from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A permanent resident of a town, especially a resident of a college town who is academically unaffiliated with the local college or university.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun UK, US A person living in a university area who is not associated with the university.
  • noun US A person born and raised in an area of Massachusetts who is proud of his or her Irish-American community, culture, and heritage.
  • noun UK A person who has moved from a town or city to a rural area.
  • noun UK A person familiar with the town (urbanised centre of a city) and with going out on the town; a street-wise person.
  • noun UK, pejorative A chav.
  • noun US A working-class citizen in a metropolitan area.
  • noun Australia, New Zealand, informal A person who lives in a city or town, or has an urban outlook.


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From town +‎ -ie.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.