from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Existing or lasting only a short time; short-lived or temporary.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Passing without continuing; lasting only a short time; unstable and fleeting; speedily vanishing.
- Occurring or done in passing; cursory.
- Synonyms Fleeting, etc. (see
transient), temporary, evanescent, ephemeral, momentary, short-lived.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Continuing only for a short time; not enduring; fleeting; evanescent.
- adjective (Law) an action which may be brought in any county, as actions for debt, and the like; -- opposed to
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
Lastingonly a short time; temporary.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective lasting a very short time
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
The count of people in "transitory places" is underway in RV parks, campgrounds and marinas.
Last month, Census workers counted people in "transitory places," from RV parks and marinas to circuses and campgrounds.
Don't panic under short-term transitory developments.
In its review of Obama's first 100 days, Amnesty International singled out "the possibility of the CIA abducting and detaining people in 'short-term transitory' facilities" as an unacceptable loophole.
This came from an otherwise laudable announcement a month ago by the CIA's new director, Leon Panetta, in which Panetta stated, "CIA no longer operates detention facilities or black sites and has proposed a plan to decommission the remaining sites," but added that the agency "retains the authority to detain individuals on a short-term transitory basis."
CIA retains the authority to detain individuals on a short-term transitory basis.
He says that CIA officers will continue to conduct interrogations, and that the agency retains the authority to hold detainees "on a short-term transitory basis."
I'll give you five bucks if he actually uses the word transitory today.
Oh, he's grown Cautiously rich, and will venture none of his substantiall stock in transitory Traffick.
CIA detains individuals on "a short-term transitory basis".