from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Plural form of troglodyte.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of apes including the chimpanzee.
- n. A genus of singing birds including the common wrens.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In ornithology: A genus of wrens, type of the family Troglodytidae, based by Vieillot in 1807 on T. aëdon.
- n. In the form Troglodites, a Linnean name (1744) of humming-birds, later (1748–66) called Trochilus. Compare similar confusion of trochilus, 1 and .
- n. In mammalogy, a genus of anthropoid apes, instituted by Isidore Geoffroy St. Hilaire after 1807, containing the chimpanzee, T. niger, and the gorilla, T. gorilla.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the Troglodytidae
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Great use of the word troglodytes that’s worth 50p at least!
In the Saumur region of France there are over a thousand miles of underground tunnels and thousands of caves, known as "troglodytes," used as homes, hotels, restaurants, museums, wineries, farms silkworms, mushrooms, snails and even a disco and a zoo.
But I think if enough of these big-name troglodytes step up to declare their opposition to McCain, it could cumulatively have a disspiriting effect on conservative voters.
Some blamed Communist "troglodytes" focused only on their internal power struggles.
The Republican lobbyist, Abramoff, who liked to call Native Americans "troglodytes" and "morons" as he was ripping them off to help Hot Tub Tom DeLay and George W. Bush illegally maintain their grip on power in Washington, has said he could implicate as many as 60 members of Congress with his plea-arranged testimony.
Will you remember Jack Abramoff calling his clients "troglodytes" as he bilked them for millions of dollars?
The tribes were paying the two Washington operatives -- who in private e-mails referred to the Indians as "troglodytes," "monkeys" and "moronic" -- to defend their casinos.
And we haven't even mentioned the "troglodytes" he helped scam.
For background, you may recall this Texas Observer piece which printed emails of K street Republicans who casually refer to their Native American clients as "troglodytes," "monkeys," and "stupid mofos".
Now that embarrassing emails have been uncovered, we find top K street Republicans referring to their Native American clients as "troglodytes," "monkeys," and "stupid mofos".