from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A direct line between two telephone switchboards.
- noun The main line of a communications or transportation system.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In electricity, lines or wires which connect two telephone-exchanges, as distinguished from the wires which connect an exchange with its subscribers.
- noun The main line, as of a railway or canal, from which branch-lines diverge.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a telephone line connecting two exchanges directly
- noun line that is the main route on a railway
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.