from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A tongue of metal, pivoted above its center of gravity, used as a shutter-fastener.
  • noun A form of shutter-bolt with a hasp which when turned over a staple cannot be thrown back except by a reverse turning motion.
  • noun A device for connecting and tightening two parts of a metal rod or bar.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun A loop or sleeve with a screw thread at one end and a swivel at the other, -- used for tightening a rod, stay, etc.
  • noun A gravitating catch, as for fastening a shutter, the end of a chain, or a hasp.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun an oblong metal coupling with a swivel at one end and an internal thread at the other into which a threaded rod can be screwed in order to form a unit that can be adjusted for length or tension


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.