from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Two people or things together; a pair or couple.
- n. Sports A round of golf played by two people.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Being or constituting a pair; two.
- adj. Twofold; double.
- adj. Performed by two individuals.
- n. A group of two; a pair; a couple; a group of two distinct individuals or components.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Being or constituting a pair; two.
- Twofold; double; specifically, performed by two persons, as a dance.
- n. In golf, a match between two persons.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. two items of the same kind
- n. a pair who associate with one another
Word comes this morning that the twosome is touring Italy and you can follow them here as they eat their way across the country.
The depressing aspect of this perpetual twosome is that it is so often based on sex and convenience.
Because the essential ingredient for friendship is equality and there is always an imbalance when one person in the twosome is the parent of the other, mothers and daughters naturally can't be best friends.
Probably the best way to solve the problem about which my original correspondent wrote — as still other readers pointed out — would be to sidestep it and call the twosome an engaged couple, affianced, or something else in which the words have no gender.
There's little he can do about that; the twosome are the best-selling duo in music history.
Arguments between mothers and teenage daughters may be as regular as rain, but when the twosome is a high-strung, reactive mother and a high-strung, pubescent daughter, it can look so crazy that dads are mystified by the emotional downpour.
Whether it's sisters, brothers or lovers, the twosome is the place to begin.
The twosome is a combination that is literally, blowing our minds right now.
In addition to being commemorated on stamps, coins, tea towels, mugs, flags and a refrigerator, the handsome twosome will be the subject of countless motion pictures, including a Lifetime movie, a Hallmark miniseries and a film entitled The Royal Romp, which is currently the subject of a bidding war between Cinemax and the adults-only section in every local video store and Redbox kiosk.
I can understand why he was the level-headed person of the twosome in this venture project.