from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A summer stage in the life history of certain rusts (Uredinales), regarded at one time as a distinct genus, and preceding the teleutospore, or winter stage.
- n. urticaria; nettle-rash
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the stages in the life history of certain rusts (Uredinales), regarded at one time as a distinct genus. It is a summer stage preceding the teleutospore, or winter stage. See Uredinales, in the Supplement.
- n. Nettle rash. See Urticaria.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A form-genus or stage in the development of fungi of the order Uredineæ.
- n. [lowercase] A receptacle or hymenium in which uredospores are produced.
Latin, a blast, blight, a burning itch, from urere ("to burn or scorch"). (Wiktionary)
A single "uredo"-spore from the Alaskan sample, as seen in a closeup via scanning electron microscope.