from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- conj. It being the fact that; inasmuch as.
- conj. While at the same time.
- conj. While on the contrary.
- n. An introductory statement to a formal document; a preamble.
- n. A conditional statement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Where (that).
- conj. In contrast; whilst on the contrary.
- conj. It being the fact that
- conj. Inasmuch as
- n. A clause, as in legal documents, stating whereas.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. At which place; where.
- conj. Considering that; it being the case that; since; -- used to introduce a preamble which is the basis of declarations, affirmations, commands, requests, or like, that follow.
- conj. When in fact; while on the contrary; the case being in truth that; although; -- implying opposition to something that precedes; or implying recognition of facts, sometimes followed by a different statement, and sometimes by inferences or something consequent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- The thing being so that; considering that things are so: implying an admission of facts, sometimes followed by a different statement, and sometimes by inference or something consequent, as in the preamble to a law or a resolution.
- While on the contrary; the fact or case really being that; when in fact.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The reality is that it's much easier to put everybody under this label whereas you could say people use their methodology or synthesize this.
That particular time I had to put my username and password in whereas the time before and after I didn't.
To add to this not one of the fourth dynasty Pharaohs put their names upon the pyramids supposedly built for them, whereas from the fifth dynasty onwards official inscriptions are in their thousands.
There is no difficulty about including Ireland in the British Isles: as you indicate N&Q, 22 December, the latter is a geographical term whereas the non-Britishness of Ireland is a political issue.
I've been watching their videos on Youtube and found out that Tom's uh well ... the liberated twin whereas Bill is the uh conservative twin.
According to the article only 14% of women who ask their GPs for contraception use longer term whereas 35% use the pill.
McCain was crass in bringing it up, Obama clearly wasn't planning on mentioning his which is why he had to search for the name whereas McCain obviously planned to use his bracelet in the debate which is why the name was handy.
Psychiatrists will tell you that because rightwingers like you repress your true sexuality, it oozes out like a toxin – whereas liberals who embrace whatever or whoever they are tend to actually be more stable and less freaky … It was a good speculation on their part – but not the actual reason.
To wit: Verrà Gianni and Verrà are grammatically coherent sentences in Italian, whereas no sober speaker of French would ever utter *Arrivera Jean or *Arrivera.
Rajoy condemned the arms deal in unambiguous terms whereas we found amusingly the socialist party spokesperson defending mercantile policies instead of peace in the area.