from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any substance used to whiten something; a bleach.
- n. A person employed to whiten or bleach.
- n. A powder added to tea or coffee in place of milk. A "non-dairy creamer".
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, whitens; a bleaching agent; a bleach; a bleacher; a blancher; a whitewasher.
- n. A chemical used as an adjunct to laundering white cloth, which makes white cloth appear whiter. A bluing agent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which bleaches, or makes white; especially, some chemical or other agent used for bleaching or cleaning very perfectly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an agent that makes things white or colorless
Sorry, no etymologies found.
"It is a matter of concern that a lot of minors are getting addicted to whitener, which is a stationery product easily available in the market," said Deputy Commissioner of Police (Anti-Narcotics Cell)
Off topic, I know, but do the companies that make those coffee vending machines realize referring to creamer as "whitener" doesn't really make you want to buy coffee out of that machine?
She says I need to use teeth whitener, and if I ask her if she wants to come to my house, she says You can't make me.
With this acquisition, Jyothi Labs, the maker of fabric whitener Ujala Supreme and insects repellent Maxo, will double its sales to 12 billion rupees $267 million and extend its presence into the premium categories.
Jyothy Laboratories, which owns brands such as Ujala fabric whitener and Ujala techno bright detergent, deliberately kept its purchase below the 15% threshold that would have required a mandatory open offer for a further 20% holding, Mr. Kamath said.
Indian fabric whitener and detergent maker Jyothy Laboratories Ltd is in advanced talks to buy Henkel AG's majority stake in its Indian arm for 9 billion rupees $202.8 million including debt, three sources said.
Jyothy Laboratories Ltd., the maker of Ujala fabric whitener, is in negotiations with Germany's Henkel AG to decide on the price to buy a 50.1% stake in Henkel India Ltd., according to two people with direct knowledge of the matter.
Jyothy Laboratories Ltd, the maker of fabric whitener Ujala, announced that it was bidding for the Henkel India stake, after having purchased a 14.9% holding in the unit from Tamilnadu Petroproducts Ltd on Wednesday for 607.3 million rupees.
Competitors in the space, including Jyothi Laboratories--maker of Ujala fabric whitener--and Emami Ltd are in the bidding.
Jyothy Labs, the maker of Ujala fabric whitener, was not expected to make an offer beyond 35 rupees 79 cents a share, the price Jyothy paid to acquire Tamilnadu Petroproducts Ltd.'s stake in Henkel India, sources had said earlier.