from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A usually long, narrow box for growing plants, placed on a windowsill or ledge.
- n. One of the vertical grooves on the inner sides of a window frame for the weights that counterbalance the sash.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a narrow box, filled with earth, placed on a windowsill and used for growing plants
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. one of the hollows in the sides of a window frame for the weights which counterbalance a lifting sash.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In carpentry, the vertical hollow upright of the window-frame prepared to hold the weights for a sliding sash.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a long narrow box for growing plants on a windowsill
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.