from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A usually long, narrow box for growing plants, placed on a windowsill or ledge.
  • n. One of the vertical grooves on the inner sides of a window frame for the weights that counterbalance the sash.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a narrow box, filled with earth, placed on a windowsill and used for growing plants

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. one of the hollows in the sides of a window frame for the weights which counterbalance a lifting sash.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In carpentry, the vertical hollow upright of the window-frame prepared to hold the weights for a sliding sash.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a long narrow box for growing plants on a windowsill


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • That first night, after Carolyn and Theresa had checked out every one of the many conveniences in the new place the trash compactor was their favorite and were picked up by Mr. Zych, and I sadly watched their taillights get smaller and smaller and disappear into the black woods, I climbed up into the tree house the Pathfinder kids had built with leftover wood and had even made a window box for and put a shingled roof on, and I stayed up there until the fireworks began exploding over the polka park.

    Hoopi Shoopi Donna

  • Every child knew that the blazing red geraniums in the window box of 60 Andrassy Ut—renamed Stalin Ut—were watered by the AVO, to make their headquarters, formerly those of the Arrow Cross, look friendly.

    Enemies of the People

  • Toddler-Size Garden: A small square of yard or a window box that you give to your child and you plant and care for together.

    pottytrain your child in just one day


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.