from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A tapered fabric tube pivotally attached to a standard, that indicates the direction of the wind blowing through it.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun a large, conical, open-ended tube designed to indicate wind direction and relative wind speed; used especially at smaller airfields

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a truncated cloth cone mounted on a mast; used (e.g., at airports) to show the direction of the wind


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.