from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A block of wood on whose surface a design for printing is engraved across the end grain.
- noun A print made from a wood engraving.
- noun The art or process of making wood engravings.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The art or process of cutting designs in relief upon blocks of wood, usually box, so that impressions can be made from them with a pigment in a printing-press, upon paper or other ma terial.
- noun A block of wood engraved by the above method, or an impression from such a block.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a print made from a woodcut
- noun engraving consisting of a block of wood with a design cut into it; used to make prints
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.