from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A block of wood on whose surface a design for printing is engraved across the end grain.
- n. A print made from a wood engraving.
- n. The art or process of making wood engravings.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An engraving on wood; a wood cut; also, a print from such an engraving.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art or process of cutting designs in relief upon blocks of wood, usually box, so that impressions can be made from them with a pigment in a printing-press, upon paper or other ma terial.
- n. A block of wood engraved by the above method, or an impression from such a block.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a print made from a woodcut
- n. engraving consisting of a block of wood with a design cut into it; used to make prints
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.