from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A yellowish-orange, lipid-filled nodule or papule in the skin, often on an eyelid or over a joint.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small, yellow nodule, rich in cholesterol and other lipids, that occurs in the skin, often near a joint
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A skin disease marked by the development or irregular yellowish patches upon the skin, especially upon the eyelids; -- called also xanthelasma.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A connective-tissue new growth in the skin, forming soft yellow patches, either flat (xanthoma planum) or tuberculated (xanthoma tuberosum).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a skin problem marked by the development (on the eyelids and neck and back) of irregular yellow nodules; sometimes attributable to disturbances of cholesterol metabolism
In a case of Sangster, reported by Politzer, although most of the dermoids, as usual, were like fibroma-nodules and therefore the color of normal skin, those over the mastoid processes and clavicle were lemon-yellow, and were generally thought to be xanthoma until they were excised, and Politzer found they were typical dermoid cysts with the usual contents of degenerated epithelium and hair.
In some cases (_xanthoma diabeticorum_) of general xanthoma diabetes is the causative factor.
#Describe the clinical appearances of xanthoma planum.
#Describe the clinical appearances of xanthoma tuberosum.
The macular or flat (_xanthoma planum_) and the tubercular (_xanthoma tuberculatum_ or _tuberosum_).
In that form of general xanthoma due to diabetes the treatment of this latter condition will materially and sometimes completely remove the eruption.
(_Synonyms: _ Vitiligoidea; Xanthelasma.) #What is xanthoma?
(_xanthoma multiplex_) are seen in the same individual.
A xanthoma (or xanthomata or xanthomatosis) (from Greek xanthos,??????,