from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A public storehouse.
- n. Supplies issued to troops on the march
- n. In Russia, a prison or stockade for the confinement of prisoners in transit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A public store-house for goods; a staple-town.
- n. An allowance of provisions and forage for soldiers during the time of their march through a country to or from winter quarters.
- n. In Russia, a prison-like building with a stockaded yard, used to confine and shelter at night parties of exiles proceeding under guard from one place to another.
Sorry, no etymologies found.