from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A public storehouse.
- n. Supplies issued to troops on the march
- n. In Russia, a prison or stockade for the confinement of prisoners in transit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A public store-house for goods; a staple-town.
- n. An allowance of provisions and forage for soldiers during the time of their march through a country to or from winter quarters.
- n. In Russia, a prison-like building with a stockaded yard, used to confine and shelter at night parties of exiles proceeding under guard from one place to another.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.