American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. State or condition: dependence.
- n. Action: emergence.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- See -ance, -ancy, and -ent.
GNU Webster's 1913
- A noun suffix signifying action, state, or quality; also, that which relates to the action or state; as in emergence, diffidence, diligence, influence, difference, excellence. See -ance.
- From French, from Latin -entia. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Latin -entia (from -ēns, -ent-, -ent) and from Old French -ance, -ance. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘-ence’.
Looking for tweets for -ence.