from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- suffix Producing; generating: hematogenous.
- suffix Produced by or in a specified manner: hypogenous.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A suffix signifying producing, yielding
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The terminal element in some words of Latin origin, meaning ‘-born,’ as in indigenous, born within a country, amnigenous, river-born, montigenous, mountain-born, etc.
- n. The termination of adjectives from nouns in -gen, as in acrogenous, nitrogenous, etc.
-gen + -ous.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)