from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- suffix Of sufficient worth for: creditworthy.
- suffix Suitable or safe for: crashworthy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- suffix Of sufficient worth for; deserving of.
- suffix Suitable or safe for; capable of enduring or able to bear; able to withstand.
- suffix Able to be; fit to be; -able.
- suffix Having the right, power, permission, or freedom to.
From worthy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Partly from worthy (combining form), and partly continuing Middle English -wurthe ("-able"), from Old English -wierþe ("-able"), from Proto-Germanic *werþijaz (“worthy”), from Proto-Indo-European *wert- (“to turn, bend”). Cognate with Dutch -waardig ("-worthy"), German -würdig ("-worthy"). (Wiktionary)