American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- In the Bible, the son of Adam and Eve who was slain by his elder brother, Cain.
- Abel, Sir Frederick Augustus 1827-1902. British chemist noted for his research and writings concerning explosives. He invented cordite (1889) with Sir James Dewar.
- n. (Old Testament) Cain and Abel were the first children of Adam and Eve born after the Fall of Man; Abel was killed by Cain
- n. Norwegian mathematician (1802-1829)
- From Middle English, from Latin, from Greek, from Hebrew הֶבֶל (hével, "breath, vapor; vanity") or from Assyrian Neo-Aramaic ablu ("son"). (Wiktionary)
“Mysteries, but in the Teutonic domesticities of Cain and Adah, and the evangelical piety of Adam and Abel, there is a reflection, if not an imitation, of the German idyll (see Gessner's _Death of Abel_, ed.”
“It's the silence that stands between Blossom Revercomb an 'me – an' her brother Abel is another glum one of the same sort, isn't he?”
“Consider This: While the name Abel suffers a bit from the biblical allusion, it certainly doesn’t suffer as much as Cain.”
“For in Abel Ah Yo were the five verbs, and nouns, and adjectives, and metaphors of four living languages.”
“A pair of men not named in the story are obviously Cain and Abel from the House of Mystery and House of Secrets comics, whom Gaiman had further developed in Sandman.”
“With the Anarchy gang racing to the U.K. in search of Abel, is it too much to hope for a profane guest shot from Ian McShane (aka Al Swearenegen)?”
“Em Zhu is 16 years old and this is her first celebrity interview with cast members Logan Lerman, Brandon T. Jackson, Alexandra Daddario and Jake Abel from the upcoming film PERCY JACKSON & THE OLYMPIANS: THE LIGHTNING THIEF due in theatres on February 12, 2010. yomammaindahouse percy jackson and the buttpirates percyjackson crazy cool ... can't wait to see the entire thing this friday! pupluvr”
“For instance, innocent, devout Abel is a Type of Christ while jealous, murderous Cain his Antitype.”
“Caught up in Abel Ah Yo's ministry, Alice closes up the hula house, divests herself of her "gala colors and raiments," bought and dispersed bibles.”
“She's a little too unhinged to play femme fatale, or maybe she's just bent on reinventing the term — roles like this and past ones in Abel Ferrara's New Rose Hotel and Michael Radford's B. Monkey cast her as the precarious, nationless screen siren of the future circa 1998.”
Looking for tweets for Abel.