from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- An ancient town of Asia Minor on the Asiatic coast of the Hellespont in modern-day Turkey. It was the scene of the legendary tale of Hero and Leander.
- An ancient city of southern Egypt on the Nile River northwest of Thebes. One of the oldest Egyptian cities, it was a religious center for the worship of Osiris and a burial site for the kings of the earliest dynasties.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A ancient city in Egypt with archaeological interest.
- proper n. A city in Asia Minor at the Hellespont.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an ancient Greek colony on the Asiatic side of the Dardanelles; scene of the legend of Hero and Leander
Sorry, no etymologies found.