from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- An ancient town of Asia Minor on the Asiatic coast of the Hellespont in modern-day Turkey. It was the scene of the legendary tale of Hero and Leander.
- An ancient city of southern Egypt on the Nile River northwest of Thebes. One of the oldest Egyptian cities, it was a religious center for the worship of Osiris and a burial site for the kings of the earliest dynasties.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A ancient city in Egypt with archaeological interest.
- proper n. A city in Asia Minor at the Hellespont.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an ancient Greek colony on the Asiatic side of the Dardanelles; scene of the legend of Hero and Leander
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Today, these age-old ruins lie beneath the wind-blown sands of a place we know as Abydos, some 300 miles south of Cairo.
Spartan, was sent with a small force by land to the Hellespont to effect the revolt of Abydos, which is a Milesian colony; and the
Early in the spring of the following summer Dercyllidas, a Spartiate, was sent with a small force by land to the Hellespont to bring about the revolt of Abydos, which is a Milesian colony; and the Chians, while Astyochus was at a loss how to help them, were compelled to fight at sea by the pressure of the siege.
A three days 'voyage brings one to Abydos, which is upon an arm of the sea which flows between the mountains, and after a five days' journey the great town of Constantinople is reached.
Early in the spring of the summer following, Dercyllidas, a Spartan, was sent with a small force by land to the Hellespont to effect the revolt of Abydos, which is a Milesian colony; and the Chians, while
Description: Daniel Jackson and Teal'C travel back to Abydos.
Description: SG-1 is called to Abydos to investigate a strange phenomenon: a whirling sandstorm that seems to whisper Dr. Daniel Jackson's name.
Right, the Harsesis child is back and wants to learn more about his mother so he heads off to Abydos, manifests himself as a talking tornado and asks for Daniel.
The guide flew with us an hour to Luxor, where we joined a bus convoy for the 10-hour round trip to the legendary temples of Abydos and Dendera with many security checkpoints on the way -- the Egyptians really overdo it to make tourists feel safe.
He had excavated the fabulous tomb of Seti I at Abydos, and in London he hoped to exhibit a reproduction of the sepulcher.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.