Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The typical genus of the family Acipenseridæ, including all the ordinary sturgeons (and with the shovel-nosed sturgeons, Scaphirhynchops, the only other genus, composing the family), characterized by the flattened tapering snout, a spiracle over each eye, and 5 distinct rows of bony plates. The common sturgeon, A. sturio, is found both in Europe and North America; it sometimes attains a length of 18 feet. The green sturgeon of the Pacific coast is A. medirostris. The European sterlet is A. ruthenus. The largest known species is the Russian sturgeon, the bielaga, huso, or hausen, A. huso, sometimes attaining a length of 25 feet and a weight of 3000 pounds. A. guldenstädti is a fourth example, known as the osseter. Also often spelled
- n. A taxonomic genus within the subfamily Acipenserinae — ganoid fishes, including the sturgeons, having the body armed with bony scales, and the mouth on the under side of the head.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A genus of ganoid fishes, including the sturgeons, having the body armed with bony scales, and the mouth on the under side of the head. See sturgeon.
- n. type genus of the Acipenseridae: sturgeons
- From Latin acipēnser ("sturgeon"). (Wiktionary)
“Acipenser is saying that the rational and logical evaluation of the evidence through disciplined and skillful conceptualization IS SCIENCE.”
“Acipenser is telling me that science has demonstrated that pertial birth abortion IS IMMORAL!”
“Now Acipenser is telling me that I have just done science.”
“I could talk about the Delmarva Fox Squirrel (Acipenser brevirostrum) or even the Bog Turtle (Clemmys muhlenbergii); instead I want to focus on the Eastern Shore Commercial Fisherman (Piscator orientali litore).”
“If you look at the steps you've taken you have conducted a scientific investigation to a degree but appear to have lapsed into non-critical thinking in some areas, i.e., wishful thinking that you can actually put yourself into a unborn's shoes. chunkdz: Acipenser, Critical Thinking is less a methodology and more a skill.”
“Acipenser: IDers can't even provide the validation for the methods they propose to be used in design detection let alone even begin to test for design.”
“Acipenser: I don't see the path that chunkdz is taking to separate critical thinking and scientific thinking in this example.”
“Acipenser: Critical thinking is science when conducted properly.”
“Acipenser, a hypothesis is an answer (a tentative one), not a question.”
“Are you, Acipenser, telling me that science can detect their designer – against the collective wisdom of Judge Jones, the NCSE, the AAAS, hundreds of 'Steves', and Chunkdz?”
Looking for tweets for Acipenser.