American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- An island off southeast Greece in the Saronic Gulf of the Aegean Sea near Athens. It was a prosperous maritime city-state in the fifth century B.C. but declined after its defeat by Athens and the expulsion of its population. The first Greek coins were struck here.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The typical genus of the family Æginidæ.
- n. A genus of crustaceans.
- n. an island in Greece
- n. small medusa
- n. an island in the Aegean Sea in the Saronic Gulf
- From Ancient Greek Αἴγινα. (Wiktionary)
“One of these was, that he called Aegina "the eyesore of the Peiraeus," and that "he saw war coming upon Athens from Peloponnesus.”
“These figures do not include trips to the Argosaronic islands such as Aegina and Poros.”
“Soft-eyed but steely of limb, Kaptsova is herself contrasted with Maria Allash's spiky and calculating Aegina, mistress of the Roman leader Crassus.”
“His pious wife Phrygia is Nina Kaptsova, with Svetlana Zakharova deploying her extravagant supple technique as the narcissistic Aegina.”
“After them came the sons of Aeacus, not both together, nor from the same spot; for they settled far from Aegina in exile, when in their folly they had slain their brother Phocus.”
“And thence they steadily left behind long leagues of sea and stayed on the beach of Aegina; and at once they contended in innocent strife about the fetching of water, who first should draw it and reach the ship.”
“For now have I come to the glorious end of your toils; for no adventure befell you as ye came home from Aegina, and no tempest of winds opposed you; but quietly did ye skirt the”
“Euphemus, which is interpreted by Jason: arrival at Aegina and at Pagasae, the end of the voyage (1694 – 1781).”
“Arrival at the isle Anaphe: the dream of Euphemus, which is interpreted by Jason: arrival at Aegina and at Pagasae, the end of the voyage (1694 – 1781).”
“Here's an image of the colorized Athena from the west pediment of the Temple of Aphaia on Aegina; Greek, ca.”
Looking for tweets for Aegina.