from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of a breed of tall red cattle that were originally developed in South Africa, are well adapted to heat, and have a humped back and large spreading horns.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Archaic form of Afrikaner.
- n. One born in Africa, the offspring of a white father and black mother.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One born in Africa, the offspring of a white father and a “colored” mother. Also, and now commonly in Southern Africa, a native born of European settlers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A native of Cape Colony or the neighboring regions of Africa born of white parents; a descendant of European settlers in southern Africa.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tall large-horned humped cattle of South Africa; used for meat or draft
Obsolete Afrikaans, an African, from Afrikaan (on the model of Hollander, Hollander); see Afrikaner.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)