American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of a breed of tall red cattle that were originally developed in South Africa, are well adapted to heat, and have a humped back and large spreading horns.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A native of Cape Colony or the neighboring regions of Africa born of white parents; a descendant of European settlers in southern Africa.
- n. Archaic form of Afrikaner.
- n. dated One born in Africa, the offspring of a white father and black mother.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One born in Africa, the offspring of a white father and a “colored” mother. Also, and now commonly in Southern Africa, a native born of European settlers.
- n. tall large-horned humped cattle of South Africa; used for meat or draft
- Obsolete Afrikaans, an African, from Afrikaan (on the model of Hollander, Hollander); see Afrikaner. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Thus early in South African annals were the foundations laid of what we now call the Africander sentiment -- a sentiment which has become one of the main factors in the history of the country.”
“Enter 'Africander' lad with a nosegay; only one flower that I know -”
“We have had Africa for the Africander, and at no distant day we shall hear "Asia for the Asiatic!”
“I selected the better, an Africander stallion of the blaauw-schimmel, or blue-roan type, which is famous for speed and endurance.”
“The Coloured Mechanic, Malay, black or Africander should make a common cause, and Organize, Organize, Organize.”
“Needless to say, my remarks were translated into the Africander papers, and somewhat extensively read, especially by the ladies in question and their male relatives; nor did the editors of those papers forbear to comment on them in leading articles.”
“During the Zulu campaign I was abominably served by a lazy Africander and a lazier St. Helena boy.”
“British interests, British paramountcy, etc., were supposed to be seriously threatened by a great Pan-Africander conspiracy, which had for its objective the total elimination of the Imperial factor in South Africa.”
“What that victory, however, would inevitably have involved was made abundantly plain in the pages of _De Patriot_, the once official organ of the Africander Bond.”
“Let them take that away, and within a year the Confederation under the Free Africander flag would be established; but so long as the English flag remains here the”
‘Africander’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Africander.