from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic subclass within the class Anthozoa — sedentary colonial cnidarians.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- plural proper n. One of the orders of Anthozoa. It includes the Alcyonacea, Pennatulacea, and Gorgonacea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An order of actinozoan corals, or, as some hold, a subclass of coralligenous Actinozoa, distinguished in this use from Zoantharia, the other subclass of Actinozoa (which contains the sea-anemones, etc.), by having pinnately fringed instead of simple tentacles, arranged around the mouth like the rays of a starfish, whence the alternative name Asteroida.
- A subclass of Anthozoa, containing the orders Stolonifera, Alcyonacea, Pseudaxonia, Axifera, Stelechotokea, and Cœnothecalia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. corals and sea anemones having eight branches
Alcyonium + -aria (Wiktionary)