from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A group of High German dialects spoken in Alsace, Switzerland, and parts of southern Germany.
- n. The Germanic dialect of the Alemanni.
- adj. Of or relating to the Alemannic dialects of High German.
- adj. Of or relating to the Alemanni or their language.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The language, closely related to German, spoken in certain parts of South Germany, Switzerland, Austria and France.
- adj. Of or relating to the Alemannic language.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Belonging to the Alemanni, a confederacy of warlike German tribes.
- n. The language of the Alemanni.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Belonging to the Alemanni, confederated German tribes who began to appear between the Main and the Danube about the beginning of the third century, and occupied that region completely.
- n. The language of the Alemanni, or ancient people of southwestern Germany. Also spelled Allemannic.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Ethnic groups: Alemannic 86%, Italian, Turkish, and other 14%
At the death of Fastrada, he married Liutgard, an Alemannic woman, who bore him no children.
Ethnic divisions: Alemannic 95\%, Italian and other 5\%
Alemannic 87. 5\%, Italian, Turkish, and other 12. 5\%
Ethnic groups: Alemannic 87. 5\%, Italian, Turkish, and other 12. 5\%
Alemannic gave me, I should have been utterly at sea.
Some knowledge of the Alemannic dialect of the Black Forest enabled me to understand the subject of conversation, which, to my surprise, was -- the study of the classics!
He was of Alemannic descent, received his education in
Rome, Cordova, Trier, Poitiers, Toulouse, Calaris, Milan, and Vercellæ were in exile, but Gaul was now partly shielded from persecution by the varying fortunes of Julian's Alemannic war.
Alemannic race, who had been educated at first at Fulda under Rabanus
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.