American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The parliament of Iceland. It is the oldest assembly in Europe, first convened in 930.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The general assembly or parliament of Iceland.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The national assembly or parliament of Iceland. See thing, n., 8.
- From Icelandic Alþingi, from Old Norse alþingi, from allr ("all") + þing ("Thing"). Compare Thing, thing. (Wiktionary)
- Old Norse althing, parliament, whole assembly : allr, all; see al-3 in Indo-European roots + thing, assembly. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Usually it refers to some small, original version of a much larger thing (Wisconsin's welfare program was said to be the homunculus version of the federal Welfare Reform Act of 1996; Iceland's ancient parliament, the Althing, is the homunculus version of Congress), but it can also mean someone who resembles the homunculi depicted in illuminated treatises.”
“This 'Althing' combined both the power of a High Parliament and that of”
“Althing" gathering last Aug. 29-Sept. 1 on private land purchased by Volksfront in rural Missouri, about an hour's drive north of St. Louis.”
“As I mentioned, this is where Iceland's old parliamentary assembly had its seat in the past -- the Althing, which literally means "everyman's assembly".”
“The government of Iceland has agreed that it has an obligation and the Althing recently passed a bill setting out the repayment schedule.”
“The DYDA DISPATCHES: The Senedd and the Althing skip to main | skip to sidebar”
“Only Iceland's Althing, founded in 930 A.D., is older.”
“When the Althing in Iceland declared that Iceland was a Christian country, the two major concessions made to those who had not yet converted was the continued legality of infanticide and the allowance of private but not public pagan sacrifices.”
“And while I was in Reykjavik, the government fell, after weeks of noisy demonstrations in front of the world's oldest parliament, the Althing.”
“For our purposes, however, a Toyota Yaris was sufficient, and so we set out in search of the first stop on our excursion - Thingvellir, where Iceland´s first settlers held their national assembly, the Althing, in 930.”
‘Althing’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Althing.