- n. The form of English language that is chiefly used in the United States, contrasted with British English and that of other places.
- n. The form of English language that is chiefly used in North America, contrasted with British English and that of other places.
- adj. Of or relating to, or spoken or written in American English.
- n. the English language as used in the United States
- 1806 (US), American + English. As an adjective, 1892. (Wiktionary)
“But almost every native speaker of American English knows oh-oh to mean “watch out” or “trouble ahead”; when our leading lexicographers read this, they will utter uh-oh and hasten to include the commonly exclaimed warning in their next revisions.”
“He visited the United States for an Adidas camp in 2005 and came back the next year to study at American English Academy in Monterey Park, Calif.”
Looking for tweets for American English.