from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology A Nereid, goddess of the sea and the wife of Poseidon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the subfamily Amphitritinae — spaghetti worms, sea-floor-dwelling polychetes.
- proper n. The ancient Greek goddess of saltwater. She was a daughter of either Nereus and Doris, (and thus a nereid), or Oceanus and Tethys, (and thus an oceanid). She was also the wife-consort of Poseidon, and the mother of his son, Triton; her offspring also includes seals and dolphins. Her Roman equivalent is Salacia.
- proper n. 29 Amphitrite, the asteroid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of marine polychætous tubicolous worms, of the family Terebellidæ and order Cephalobranchia.
- n. A genus of crustaceans.
From Ancient Greek Ἀμφιτρίτη. (Wiktionary)