from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Andrew, Saint One of the 12 Apostles. According to legend, he was martyred at Patrai (c. A.D. 60).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The first Apostle in the New Testament.
- proper n. A male given name.
- proper n. A patronymic surname.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. one of the twelve apostles of Jesus; brother of Peter; patron saint of Scotland.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A broadsword: an English equivalent of Andrea Ferrara (which see).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (New Testament) disciple of Jesus; brother of Peter; patron saint of Scotland
From Ancient Greek Ἀνδρέας (Andreas), cognate with ἀνδρεῖος (andreios, "manly"), both from ἀνήρ (anēr, "man") (Wiktionary)