American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Greek Mythology The daughter of Cepheus and Cassiopeia and wife of Perseus, who had rescued her from a sea monster.
- n. A constellation in the Northern Hemisphere between Lacerta and Perseus and south of Cassiopeia. It contains a large spiral galaxy visible to the naked eye. The spiral is 2.2 million light-years from Earth.
- n. Pieris
- n. A taxonomic genus within the family Ericaceae — bog rosemary.
- n. Greek mythology The daughter of Cepheus and Cassiopeia, king and queen of Eritrea, rescued from her sacrifice to a sea monster by Perseus who married her; mother of Perses, ancient king of Persia.
- n. astronomy An autumn constellation of the northern sky representing the "Chained Lady" Andromeda from Greek myth. The constellation lies between Pisces and Cassiopeia.
- n. astronomy Andromeda Galaxy, the nearest spiral galaxy to the Milky Way; M31.
- From the Ancient Greek Άνδρομέδη (Andromedē, "mindful of her husband"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin, from Greek Andromedē. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The smoke arose from a smouldering fire of the leaves and branches of the Andromeda (_Andromeda tetrigona_), the heather of Greenland, -- a trailing plant with a pretty purple blossom, which grows in sheltered places in great abundance.”
“Andromeda; and the great Linnæus, who gave the name, thus describes his thought in giving it: "_Andromeda polifolia_ was now in its highest beauty, decorating the marshy grounds in a most agreeable manner.”
“The Great Design then calls for one of these Hives to return to intergalactic space and make the crossing to the galaxy that you term Andromeda.”
“At one point, she was romantically linked and then we decided no, because it has to be that Andromeda is the romantic lead, even though there is a tension between them, which we never really delve into, but there always is something like an inexplicable feeling that they have.”
“My story “Once a Month on a Sunday” (which originally appeared in Andromeda Spaceways in 2009, and jointly won the 2009 Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story) has been accepted for the anthology Award Winning Australian Writing 2010 from Melbourne Books.”
“Westworld [Michael Crichton had usually a single appearance, in Andromeda Strain.]”
“Here are a few words about Andromeda from the designer: Emerging from the concept of Netification; the reduction of physical mass through selective perforation across a pre defined form; the concept floats more as a diatomic sea creature in the free ocean of space.”
“The character originally had a love interest in Andromeda — the character he loves in the original film — which added thematic heft to the story.”
““Andromeda is definitely headstrong and rebellious,” says Davalos.”
“Plus there was his rescue of Andromeda from the rock where she was chained, waiting for the dragon to come and eat her, and the fact he had to accomplish tasks.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Andromeda’.
The International Astronomical Union (IAU) recognizes 88 official constellations.
Looking for tweets for Andromeda.