from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of ancient Greece in the northeast Peloponnesus near the head of the Gulf of Argolis. Inhabited from the early Bronze Age, it was one of the most powerful cities of ancient Greece until the rise of Sparta.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A city in Greece, in the Peloponnese.
- proper n. The dog of Odysseus in Homer's Odyssey.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an ancient city in SE Greece; dominated the Peloponnese in the 7th century BC.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an ancient city in southeastern Greece; dominated the Peloponnese in the 7th century BC
A lot of the rest of the day was spent contemplating what resided behind those magical doors in Argos where all the good stuff comes out.
Doris Lessing talks about the inspiration for her first book, 'The Grass is Singing', the autobiographical nature of her 'Children of Violence' sequence of novels (10: 29), 'The Golden Notebook' (12: 23) and how it became a cult book (21: 30), and why she took a foray into science fiction writing with her 'Canopus in Argos' series of novels (22: 50).
In her massive Canopus in Argos suite she lets observers from another solar system report on our civilisation's ultimate phase.
In the novel series Canopus in Argos: Archives (vol. 1 – 5, 1979 – 1984) Lessing expanded the science fiction genre.
When asked about which of her books she considers most important, Lessing chose the Canopus in Argos science fiction series.
I knew this was not one of the sf titles that Lessing is known for - that would be the Canopus in Argos books - but that description sounded like it had a good sf foundation to me.
The Buckeye Aerial ATV was invented by brothers Ralph and Butch Howard of Buckeye Aviation in Argos, Indiana.
Singer Eddie Argos is known for his spoken word delivery style, which on previous albums added to the overall charm of Art Brut’s music.
The place is about three miles from Argos, which is also on the sea-shore.
Maybe I will call Argos and see if they can tell me whereabouts I am on their delivery schedule?
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.