from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or characteristic of Augustus or his reign or times.
- adj. Of or characteristic of English literature during the early 18th century.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to the times of the Roman emperor Augustus (63 BCE - 14 CE).
- adj. Pertaining to the Roman poetic literature during this time.
- adj. Pertaining to the period of English literature during the first half of the 18th century, known for satire and political themes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Augustus Cæsar or to his times.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the town of Augsburg.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the Emperor Augustus (31 b. c. to a. d. 14): as, the Augustan age.
- Pertaining to the town Augusta Vindelicorum, now Augsburg, in Bavaria: as, the Augustan Confession, commonly called the Augsburg Confession. See confession.
- n. One who belongs to the Augustan age or school of literature. See Augustanism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or characteristic of the times of the Roman Emperor Augustus
From Augustus, a Roman emperor who ruled a period of peace and prosperity known as the Pax Romana or Pax Augusta (Wiktionary)