American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A constellation in the Northern Hemisphere near Lynx and Perseus that contains the bright star Capella, which is 42 light-years from Earth. Also called Charioteer.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A northern constellation containing the splendid star Capella; the Charioteer or Wagoner. It is supposed to represent a charioteer kneeling in his vehicle. He is often represented with a kid on his left shoulder, this being doubtless an ancient constellation-figure coincident in position with the Charioteer.
- n. [lowercase] [NL.] A name of the fourth lobe of the liver.
- n. astronomy A winter constellation of the northern sky, said to resemble a charioteer. It includes the star Capella.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Anat.) The Charioteer, or Wagoner, a constellation in the northern hemisphere, situated between Perseus and Gemini. It contains the bright star Capella.
- n. a conspicuous constellation in the northern hemisphere; between Great Bear and Orion at edge of Milky Way
- From Latin aurīga, a "charioteer" (Wiktionary)
- Latin aurīga, charioteer, Auriga; see ōs- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A group led by Jun Hashimoto of the National Observatory of Japan also used the Subaru telescope to observe the star AB Auriga, which is even younger than LkCa 15.”
“Coming off one of his best years as an analyst, the 47-year-old Mr. Sarkar in February resigned from Auriga Securities SA's Auriga USA unit to become a math teacher in his hometown of Stamford, Conn.”
“Ahead of the results, Auriga analyst Gary Albanese said he expected margins to show some improvement, as Constellation streamlines its operations and removed some lower-margin brands.”
“Look for the Plough in the NW, the Square of Pegasus in the E, and remain on the alert for noctilucent clouds above the NW to NE horizon, perhaps near Capella in Auriga.”
“Ahead of the results, investment firm Auriga said it expected the company's results would top expectations on strong momentum in gaming and advertising.”
“Cisco Systems was the strongest Dow component of the day, gaining 41 cents, or 2.6%, to 16.29 after the technology bellwether got an investment-rating upgrade to "buy" from "hold" by stock analysts at Auriga.”
“In reality, the Triangle is taller but narrower and through it flows the Milky Way as it arches over the sky from Sagittarius in the SSW to Auriga in the NNE.”
“Clearly the market is being driven by macro concerns," said Daniel Berenbaum of Auriga, who focuses on technology shares.”
“Both Oppenheimer and Auriga cut their estimates for the company, with Auriga noting weak personal-computer and consumer-electronics demand have led to "rapidly deteriorating" memory pricing.”
“Using the map below to help you identify the constellation of Auriga, you won't have any problem picking out the sixth brightest star in the northern hemisphere night – bright, yellowish-white Capella.”
Looking for tweets for Auriga.