from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of a Caucasian or eastern European people whose empire, centered in southern Hungary and extending widely between the Elbe and Dneiper Rivers, reached its peak in the late sixth and early seventh centuries.
- n. A member of a traditionally Muslim people of southern Dagestan and neighboring areas of Azerbaijan.
- n. The Caucasian language of this people.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A North Caucasian language spoken mainly in Avaria (Republic of Daghestan) as its official language, and in parts of Azerbaijan.
- n. A person belonging to this people of Caucasus, mainly of Daghestan, in which they are the predominant group.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Avar language or people.
Sorry, no etymologies found.