from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of a Caucasian or eastern European people whose empire, centered in southern Hungary and extending widely between the Elbe and Dneiper Rivers, reached its peak in the late sixth and early seventh centuries.
- n. A member of a traditionally Muslim people of southern Dagestan and neighboring areas of Azerbaijan.
- n. The Caucasian language of this people.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A North Caucasian language spoken mainly in Avaria (Republic of Daghestan) as its official language, and in parts of Azerbaijan.
- n. A person belonging to this people of Caucasus, mainly of Daghestan, in which they are the predominant group.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Avar language or people.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
 [Footnote 3011: The Ogors or Varchonites, from Var. a river, (obviously connected with the name Avar,) must not be confounded with the Uigours, the eastern Turks, (v. Hammer, Osmanische Geschichte, vol.i. p. 3,) who speak a language the parent of the more modern Turkish dialects.
Var. a river, (obviously connected with the name Avar,) must not be confounded with the Uigours, the eastern Turks, (v. Hammer,
During a recent move within Brooklyn, Eddie Avar wanted to make sure one thing never made it off the van and into his new eight-bedroom home: bedbugs.
They fought the Russians in the nineteenth century not as Chechens but as Muslims and inhabitants of particular mountain villages, under the Avar holy warrior Imam Shamil.
During the anti-Russian wars of the nineteenth century, the great Avar sheikh Imam Shamil used the networks of the Sufi brotherhoods to unite mountain tribes against the invaders.
Gadzhi Makhachev, head of Dagestan's Avar ethnic group, member of the Russian Duma
The Avar, discovering that he could not even touch the dragon, screamed and fled the chamber.
King Omen, granted this reprieve, dispatched the remaining Avar.
"Shut up, you invisible tattletaler" the Avar snapped, sffi%g at what he assumed was there.
Thanks to your diversion, I was able to get close to the majority of the Avar soldiers.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.