from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various brown and white dairy cattle of a breed that originated in Ayr, Scotland.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A traditional county in Scotland.
- n. One of a breed of cattle from Ayrshire, Scotland, notable for the quantity and quality of their milk.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of a superior breed of cattle from Ayrshire, Scotland. Ayrshires are notable for the quantity and quality of their milk.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The name of a county in Scotland, used to distinguish a breed of medium-sized cattle, with short incurved horns, originating in that county and largely bred for dairy purposes. The general color is reddish brown, more or less mixed with white.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. hardy breed of dairy cattle from Ayr, Scotland
Sorry, no etymologies found.